Mission Bottom Parent Teacher Association minutes
Scope and Contents
The collection (1931-1941) contains one volume of meeting minutes of the Mission Bottom PTA.
- Mission Bottom Parent-Teacher Association (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Mission Bottom refers to the area in Oregon where the Methodist Episcopal church built a mission, in 1834. The missionaries came to serve the Native American population of the area, but they instead ended up serving and educating the children of immigrants. It is this area where, in the 1930s and 1940s, parents and teachers ran a Mission Bottom Parent-Teacher Association. The association was founded November 6, 1931.
The mission was located near Salem, Oregon, south of Wheatland, in Marion County. The area that the missionaries referred to as Mission Botton is a "United Methodist Heritage Landmark, [and] is part of Willamette Mission State Park, an Oregon State Park which is on the National Register of Historic Places."
[Source: General Commission on Archives and History, United Methodist Church website. "Willamette Mission, near Salem, Oregon. Heritage Landmark of the United Methodist Church." http://www.gcah.org]
0.025 linear feet (1 container) : 1 volume
Language of Materials
In 1931, parents and teachers organized a Mission Bottom Parent-Teacher Association (PTA) for schools in the Mission-Bottom area. The collection (1931-1941) contains one volume of meeting minutes of the Mission Bottom PTA.
Collection processed by staff in the 1970s; and Tanya Parlet, 2013.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Education -- Oregon -- Marion County Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Methodist Episcopal Church--Education
- Mission Bottom (Or.) Subject Source: Local sources
- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Parents' and teachers' associations -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Schools -- Oregon -- Marion County Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Teachers -- Oregon -- Marion County Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Mission Bottom Parent Teacher Association Minutes
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC)