U.S. District Court documents regarding the Whitman Massacre trial
In November of 1847, a small band of Cayuse warriors killed 14 settlers and took 53 others captive in what became known as the Whitman Massacre. The collection consists of photostat copies of court documents describing testimony brought against Tiloukaikt, one of the Cayuse leaders brought to trial for the crime.
- United States. District Court (Oregon) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
After years of simmering tensions between white settlers and Indians, a small band of Cayuse warriors killed 14 whites and held 53 others captive in the Whitman Massacre of November 29, 1847 (so called because the targets were the Whitmans, a missionary couple living among the Cayuse). This event precipitated the Cayuse War. After the war, five tribal leaders, including Tiloukaikt (Telokite), were brought to trial and hanged for the crime.
0.1 linear feet (1 container) : 1 folder
Language of Materials
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Cayuse Indians -- Oregon Territory Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Indians of North America -- Oregon Territory Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Legal documents Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Native Americans Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Oregon Territory -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Transcripts Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Trials (Murder) -- Oregon Territory Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. District Court (Oregon)
- Whitman Massacre, 1847 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the U.S. District Court Documents Regarding the Whitman Massacre Trial
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team and Austin Munsell
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).