Journal of a trip across the plains from Missouri to Oregon and of a land trip to California, March 31 to October 28, 1853, November 1853
Scope and Contents note
Owen's original diary of his travel on the overland trail to Oregon was lost; this account was reconstructed by Owen from his own memories and another diary. Collection includes genealogical information on the Owen family. Benjamin Franklin Owen's party crossed the Cascades near the Three Sisters Mountains, and came down the McKenzie River.
- Owen, Benjamin Franklin, 1828-1917 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access note
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use note
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Benjamin Franklin Owen (1828-1917) was a pioneer on the overland trail to Oregon.
0.1 linear feet (1 folders)
Language of Materials
Benjamin Franklin Owen (1828-1917) was a pioneer on the overland trail to Oregon. The collection consists of Owen's journal, My Trip Across the Plains, March 31, 1853-October 28, 1853.
Collection is located with other small manuscript collections.
General Physical Description note
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Expeditions and Adventure Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Frontier and pioneer life -- West (U.S.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Overland Journeys to the Northwestern United States Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Overland journals Subject Source: Genre Terms: A Thesaurus for Use in Rare Book and Special Collections Cataloguing
- Overland journeys to the Pacific Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pioneers Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Guide to the Benjamin Franklin Owen Journal
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by Rose M. Smith
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.