Prince Ernest (Ship) log
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of the log of H. M. packet, Prince Ernest, Falmouth to New York, and Falmouth to St. Thomas. The log includes daily and hourly reports of the weather, as well as a ledger. Dates covered: August 13-December 5, 1800; January 28-May 10, 1801; June 9-September 15, 1801; November 14, 1801-January 7, 1802.
- 1800 August 13-1802 January 7
- Prince Ernest (Ship) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
The commander of the Prince Ernest for the described journeys was James Petre.
0.25 linear feet (1 volume)
Language of Materials
The collection consist of the log of Her Majesty's packet Prince Ernest.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Atlantic Ocean -- Climate Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Great Britain -- Colonies -- Commerce -- West Indies Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Great Britain -- Commerce -- History -- 19th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Merchant marine -- Great Britain -- History -- 19th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- New York (N.Y.) -- Commerce -- Great Britain Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ocean travel Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Packets -- England -- Falmouth Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Prince Ernest (Ship)
- Shipping -- England -- Falmouth -- History -- 19th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ships and Shipping Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Ships' logs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Weather diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Guide to the Prince Ernest (Ship) Log
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team and Austin Munsell
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).