Willamette Cattle Company correspondence and receipts
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of photostat copies of letters and receipts.
The letters are addressed to Philip Foster, partner and treasurer of the Willamette Cattle Company.
Correspondents include: George Gay, Alexander Killen, F.W. Pettygrove, and I. L. Babcock.
- Willamette Cattle Company (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Established in 1837, the Willamette Cattle Company was formed with the expressed purpose of purchasing cattle in California and bringing it to the Oregon Territory. Philip Foster was a partner in the company.
0.1 linear feet (1 container) : 1 folder
Language of Materials
Established in 1837, the Willamette Cattle Company was formed with the expressed purpose of purchasing cattle in California and bringing it to the Oregon Territory. The collection consists of letters and receipts.
Existence and Location of Originals
Originals of the Willamette Cattle Company letters can be found at the Oregon Historical Society: Phillip Foster papers, Mss 996.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents
- Babcock, I. L.
- Beef cattle -- Oregon Territory Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Cattle trade -- Oregon Territory Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Foster, Philip, 1805-1884
- Frontier and pioneer life -- Oregon Territory Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oregon Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Oregon Territory -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pettygrove, F. W. (Francis William), 1812-1887
- Pioneers -- Oregon Territory -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Receipts (financial records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Stats (copies) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Willamette Cattle Company
- Guide to the Willamette Cattle Company Correspondence and Receipts
- Complete Description
- Archivists' Toolkit Project Team, Austin Munsell, and Kira B. Homo
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).