Fort Yamhill letterpress copy book
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of a single letterpress copy book recording the outgoing correspondence of the fort.
- July 23, 1856-August 31, 1865
- Fort Yamhill (Or.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Fort Yamhill was established in 1856,during the Rogue River Indian War, on a site overlooking the Grand Ronde Indian Agency and relocated tribes. Construction was begun by Lt. William B. Hazen and completed under the supervision of General Philip H. Sheridan. At its peak, Fort Yamhill housed two or three companies of approximately 250 men. The fort was abandoned and disassembled in 1866.
0.1 linear feet (1 volume)
Language of Materials
Fort Yamhill was established in 1856 during the Rogue River Indian War as a strategic outpost. The collection consists of a single letterpress copy book, recording the outgoing correspondence of the fort.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Dr. R. C. Clark.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Fort Yamhill (Or.)
- Native Americans Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Rogue River Indian War, 1855-1856 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- Oregon -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army
- Guide to the Fort Yamhill Letterpress Copy Book
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team and Austin Munsell
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA