Scope and Contents
The collection consists of correspondence, legal papers, and invoices.
There is a section of correspondence from "Brother's Carlton and Porter" to "Reverend Kinglsey" written on the stationary of the Methodist Book Concern of Cincinnati.
Legal papers include mortgages and warranty deeds for lots in Portland.
- Adam R. Shipley and Co. (Portland, Or.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
A. R. Shipley and Company was a "Wholesale and Retail Dealer in Standard and Miscellaneous Books" in Portland, Oregon.
Adam R. Shipley was also named postmaster of Portland in 1854.
0.1 linear feet (1 container) : 1 folder
Language of Materials
A. R. Shipley and Company was a "Wholesale and Retail Dealer in Standard and Miscellaneous Books" in Portland, Oregon. The collection consists of correspondence, legal papers, and invoices.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Booksellers and bookselling -- Oregon -- Portland Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Deeds Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Financial records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Invoices Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Legal documents Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Shipley, Adam R.
- Guide to the Adam R. Shipley and Company records
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team and Austin Munsell
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).