First Christian Church (Albany, OR), Christian Endeavor Society records
Scope and Contents
The collection (1893-1901) contains constitution, by-laws, meetings minutes, and a membership list of the society.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
"The first Christian Endeavor Society was formed in 1881 under the guidance of Dr. Francis E. Clark," who was from Portland, Maine. "The society that formed at the Williston Congregational Church encouraged young people to express themselves through participation in Christ-centered tasks."
"The Society began as a small group of young people meeting at the house of Pastor Clark. Within a year, five more Societies had been formed. The organization continued to expand rapidly, hitting fifty-six Societies after only two years. By 1906, 67,000 youth-led Christian Endeavor societies had been organized worldwide, with membership reportedly topping four million young people."
0.1 linear feet (1 container) : 1 folder
Language of Materials
A chapter of the Christian Endeavor Society organized at the First Christian Church at Albany, Oregon. The collection (1893-1901) contains a constitution, by-laws, meeting minutes, and a membership list of the society.
Collection processed by staff.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Albany (Or.) -- Church history Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Bylaws (administrative records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Church work with youth -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Constitutions Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Membership lists Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Religion Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Guide to the First Christian Church (Albany, OR), Christian Endeavor Society Records
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet and Kira B. Homo.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA