Richard Holberg illustrations
Scope and Contents
The collection contains original ink and charcoal illustrations for Glouster Boy, including the front cover, inside cover, and over twenty illustrations from inside the books.
Illustrations include ink and charcoal originals as well as proofs. A paper finding aid available in the Reading Room lists and describes each of these illustrations separately.
- Holberg, Richard A., 1889-1942 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Richard A. Holberg (1889-1942) was a commercial artist and illustrator. He married Ruth Langland Holberg, an author of children's books, in 1912. They collaborated together on a number of children's books, with Ruth Holberg writing and Richard Holberg illustrating.
3 linear feet (1 container)
Language of Materials
Richard A. Holberg (1889-1942) was a commercial artist and illustrator, who also illustrated children's books that were authored by his wife, Ruth Langland Holberg. The collection contains illustrations for Glouster Boy (1940), written by Ruth Holberg and illustrated by Richard Holberg.
Material within this collection is minimally arranged. Any arrangement is either derived from the records' creators or custodians or from staff at the time of initial processing. It may be necessary to look in multiple places for the same types of materials.
1 solander case.
Collection processed by Carolyn Minette, 1979.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Arts and Humanities Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Charcoal drawings Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Children and Youth Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Children's stories, American -- Illustrations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Holberg, Richard A., 1889-1942
- Holberg, Ruth Langland, 1889-1984
- Illustrated children's books -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Illustrations Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Illustrators -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ink drawings Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Guide to the Richard Holberg Illustrations
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by University of Oregon Libraries, Archivists' Toolkit Project Team
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA