Philip Littell papers
Scope and Contents
The correspondence mostly consists of letters to and from Phillip Littell and his wife, Frances, and their son Whittemore.
Most of the letters were written while Whittemore Littell was a student at Groton. The letters contain cheerful and sage advice, father to son, and include comments on New Republic personnel, editing problems, and family news, especially the foreign service of (son) Robert Littell.
The collection also contains what looks to be scrapbook pages of Littell's published articles from his column, "Books and Things." There are also manuscripts and fragments of essays and ideas, and a folder of notes.
- Littell, Philip, 1868-1943 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
Philip Littell (1868-1943) was an author of newspaper reviews and columns. He was born in Brookline, Massachusetts, and educated at Harvard.
He worked for the Milwaukee Sentinel, New York Globe, and the New Republic.
His column, "Books and Things," was written for the New Republic.
0.5 linear feet (1 container)
Language of Materials
Philip Littell (1868-1943) was an author of newspaper reviews and columns. The collection (1910-1920) contains family correspondence, published articles, notes, and manuscripts and fragments of essays and ideas.
Collection processed by staff, 1970s.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Articles Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Books and reading Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Fathers and sons -- United States -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Journalism Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Journalism -- Authorship Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Journalism -- United States -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Journalists -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Littell, Philip, 1868-1943
- Littell, Robert, 1896-1963
- Little family
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- New Republic, LLC
- Newspaper columns Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Guide to the Philip Littell Papers
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA