Scope and Contents
Correspondence is separated into incoming letters, from 1939-1973, and outgoing letters, from 1932-1970. The folder of outgoing correspondence also contains legal papers. The folder of incoming letters also contains a T.V. narration script, and receipts. There are also individual correspondence files on Lord and Thomas, Saturday Evening Post, and Sports Afield.
The collection contains many illustrations, from small rough sketches and stamps designed by Ludekens, to larger sketches and illustrations, and also magazine covers and tear sheets. There are also books that contains illustrations by Ludekens.
Famous Artist School related material includes the first drafts of eight original lessons, a lesson packet (program notebook) for Ludeken's class, and also a manuscript by Ludeken's regarding the school and his work there.
The collection also contains additional manuscripts by Ludekens, including articles, speeches, and book introductions.
- Ludekens, Fred, 1900-1982 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
7 linear feet (3 containers) : 1 manuscript box, and 2 solander cases
Language of Materials
Fred Ludekens was book, and magazine illustrator, who was also a member of the founding faculty of the Famous Artists School (FAS). The collection (1932-1973) contains correspondence, Ludeken's FAS lesson packet, a manuscript regarding FAS, and numerous illustrations.
Collection processed by staff in the 1970s; and Tanya Parlet, 2013.
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
This collection received a basic level of processing including minimal organization and rehousing.
Description information is drawn in part from information supplied with the collection and initial surveys of the contents.
- Art -- Study and teaching (Continuing education) -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Artists -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Artists as teachers -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence schools and courses -- Connecticut -- Westport Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Famous Artists School (Westport, Conn.)
- Fine Arts Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Illustration of books -- United States -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Illustrations Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Illustrators -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ludekens, Fred, 1900-1982
- Magazine illustration -- United States -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Saturday evening post
- Sports afield guide
- Guide to the Fred Ludekens Papers
- Complete Description
- Tanya Parlet.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).