Barbara Nolen papers
Scope and Contents note
The collection includes manuscripts written or edited by Strong. It also includes both ingoing and outgoing correspondence, illustrations, sketches, notes about the artists, photographs, and issues of Story Parade.
- Nolen, Barbara, 1902-2003 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access note
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use note
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Barbara Nolen Strong was a reviewer, editor and writer, principally of children's books. She graduated from Smith College in 1924. An advocate for school libraries, she co-founded the Children's Book Guild of Washington, D.C., and lobbied Congress for legislation to create school libraries.
3 linear feet (2 containers)
Language of Materials
A literary editor of Story Parade, Barbara Nolen Strong (1902-2003) also wrote books about Africa and Mexico. The collection includes manuscripts written or edited by Strong and issues of Story Parade, 1937 to 1954.
Collection is organized into the following series:
Series: Africa is People
Series: Africa is Thunder and Wonder
Series: The First Book of Ethiopia
Series: Mexico is People
Series: Story Parade
Processing Information note
Collection processed by processing staff, October 1974.
- Africa, Sub-Saharan -- Civilization Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- African literature Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children and Youth Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Children's literature, American -- Authorship Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Children's periodicals -- Specimens Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ethiopia -- Juvenile literature Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Literature Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Mexico -- Social life and customs Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Nolen, Barbara, 1902-2003
- Women Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Women authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Barbara Nolen Papers
- Revise Description
- Finding aid prepared by processing staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is in English
- Funding for encoding this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA