Afro-American Institute records
Scope and Contents note
The records Include articles of incorporation, mission and purpose documents, and two newsletters.
- Afro-American Institute (Eugene, Or.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access note
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Please contact Special Collections and University Archives in advance of your visit to allow for transportation time.
Conditions Governing Use note
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
The Afro-American Institute's purpose, according to their objective statement, was to bring to the Eugene, Oregon community an increased awareness of the achievements of black people and to help the white population understand more fully the problems the black community faces in striving for individual self-determination, human value and identity. Services provided included a resource center, classes relating to black experience, literary classes, referral services for employment and housing, and provided workshops, seminars, and trainings.
0.1 linear feet (1 container) : 1 folder
Language of Materials
The Afro-American Institute, headquartered in Eugene, Oregon was a non-profit organization to bring increased awareness of the achievments of black people and to help the community understand problems facing the black community. The records Include articles of incorportaion, mission and purpose documents, and two newsletters.
Collection processed by Cassandra A. Schmitt
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- African Americans -- Civil rights -- Oregon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Articles of incorporation Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Civil Rights Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Eugene Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Eugene (Or.) -- History Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Newsletters Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Guide to the Afro-American Institute records
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by Cassanrda A. Schmitt
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
Part of the University of Oregon Libraries, Special Collections and University Archives Repository
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1299 USA