Scope and Contents
The University of Oregon Board of Regents minutes collection, 1876-1963, consists of hand-written and typed meetings minutes, correspondence and memos of the Board of Regents, the executive committee, the Board of Trustees and the Board of Directors. An index to the Board of Regents minutes is included and is organized alphabetically.
- Oregon State Board of Higher Education (Organization)
- Oregon State System of Higher Education (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. Collection must be used in Special Collections and University Archives Reading Room. Collection or parts of collection may be stored offsite. Permanent University Archive public records are available for research, and are subject to state, and in some cases federal freedom of information laws. In compliance with applicable state and federal laws, including, but not limited to, FERPA and HIPAA, specific records that are legally protected, sensitive, private, or confidential are exempt (not subject to disclosure) and closed to protect individual privacy. Access to paper records will be granted after a professional review of the records occurs based on regulations in state and federal laws. Contact Special Collections and University Archives well in advance in order to access these records.
Conditions Governing Use
Property rights reside with Special Collections and University Archives, University of Oregon Libraries. Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs. All requests for permission to publish collection materials must be submitted to Special Collections and University Archives. The reader must also obtain permission of the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
The University of Oregon was created by an act of the Oregon Legislature in 1872. In 1876, the Legislature passed an act to "Provide for the Support and Government of the University of Oregon." Section 2 of that act vested the government of the University in a nine-person Board of Regents. In 1929, the Legislature established the State Department of Higher Education and invested it with the power previously held by the individual Boards of Regents at all Oregon universities. Some of the functions of the Board may have continued on within the Board of Directors and the Board of Trustees, whose minutes, correspondence and memos of 1938-1963 are also included.
3 linear feet (13 containers) : 1 manuscript box, 12 volumes
Language of Materials
In 1876, by an Act of the Oregon Legislature, the University of Oregon Board of Regents was vested with governance of the University of Oregon; a role that lasted until 1929. The collection includes meetings minutes, correspondence and memos of the Regents from 1879-1929.
The collection is arranged by individual dated volume except the index which consists of 7 folders arranged alphabetically.
Collection processed by Tanya Parlet, 2011
This finding aid may be updated periodically to account for new acquisitions to the collection and/or revisions in arrangement and description.
- Colleges and Universities Subject Source: Archiveswest
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Education, Higher -- Oregon -- Eugene Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Memorandums Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Universities and colleges -- Oregon -- Eugene Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Oregon
- Guide to the University of Oregon Board of Regents Minutes
- Complete Description
- Finding aid prepared by Tanya Parlet
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English
- Funding for production of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).