LOC/L/L3. Student Life
Found in 33 Collections and/or Records:
The Academic Distinctions committee at the University of Oregon was concerned with reviewing the requirements for achieving various academic distinctions. Collection contains material regarding a new grading system and the honors college, 1970-1971.
Launched 1879 with five alumni, the University of Oregon Alumni Association works to keep alumni connected to the university. The collection contains Alumni Holding Company and Alumni Association records including correspondence, minutes, publications, reports, and newsletters, directories, resolutions, financial records, donor relations files, reunion information, photographs, slides, and negatives as well as correspondence and other information on students who served in WWI and WWII.
The Baker family, consisting of Walter H. Baker, his wife Ida S. Baker (nee Rawalt) and their three sons, William A., Walter R., and Paul, as well as Ida Baker's sister, Mary Hoffman (nee Rawalt), her husband William and their son Harlan, all moved to the Salem, Oregon area in the 1890s. The collection contains records of the Baker, Rawalt, and Hoffman family that include diaries, correspondence, photographs, negatives, and business records of Walter Baker.
Beta Phi Mu, the library and information studies honor society, was founded at the University of Illinois in August, 1948. The collection contains the University of Oregon chapter records consisting of bylaws, ritual information, correspondence, committee information and minutes, member and initiate information, treasurer's books and receipts, and a brass wick lamp, 1973.
Laura J. Bock was a student at the University of Oregon during the 1960s who took part in civil rights activism and anti-vietnam protests at the university. The collection (1962-1969) contains political ephemera such as flyers and posters, memos, buttons, and underground newsletters and publications, as well as Bock's personal notes, correspondence, and an oral history (with transcript).
Delta Nu Alpha is an international organization dedicated to transportation and logistics. The collection contains University of Oregon chapter records that document the functions, activities, and people of the organization. Records include correspondence, newsletters, meeting minutes, membership files, national materials, subject files on transportation topics, and photographs, 1947-1958.
The Educational Activities Board at the University of Oregon comprised alumni and students and administered student activities and clubs at the university, except sports. The collection (1932-1948) contains records from the multitude of groups, programs, and clubs it oversaw including the Oregon Daily Emerald, Oregana, women's clubs, concerts and performances, and UO band and orchestra, among many others.
Educational Opportunity Services was created in 1964 and provided opportunities and educational access for students that were considered educationally disadvantaged. The collection contains records that document the functions and activities of this service, and may include records from the Native American Program, Project 75, Sesamex, Upward Bound, High School Equivalency Program, and/or Project Connection.
William H. Fear and his wife Lucia (Drum) Fear moved from Burlington, Kansas to Portland, Oregon in 1889. The collection contains correspondence, Fear and Drum family papers, medical case books, and files of Nora B. Green.
The Foreign Student Friendship Foundation was founded in 1950 by University of Oregon professor Dr. David M. Dougherty. The collection contains correspondence, excursion records, minutes, reports and program files, 1958-1984.
The High School Debating League was started by the Oregon Teacher Association and the University of Oregon contributed by publishing the Debating News newsletter, scheduling, and hosting the championship debate. The collection includes correspondence, programs, copies of the Debating News, and meeting minutes, 1910-1924.
The Laurean and Eutaxian societies were student literary groups at the University of Oregon, founded in 1876 and 1877, respectively, and together they donated a book collection to UO in 1877 that would become the beginning of a University library. The collection contains meeting minutes, treasurer's and cash books, roll call, secretary's book, correspondence, a scrapbook, and volumes of the joint publication, The Reflector.
Oscar H. Lipps served at the Carlisle Indian School, as superintendent of the Nez Perce Agency, at the Chemawa Indian School, and as a field representative of the U. S. Indian Service at the end of the 1800s. The collection includes general correspondence, 1934–1938, regarding Indian problems and Indian rights and Indian school press publications.
Ken Metzler was a Professor of Journalism at the University of Oregon and published a book about UO acting President Charles E. Johnson, titled Confrontation: The Destruction of a College President in 1973. The collection contains Metzler’s working and research files for that book including correspondence by and about Charles E. Johnson, clippings, publications, notes, and manuscripts.
The University of Oregon Mortar Board Society was founded in 1923. The collection includes office files, minutes, and society history files.
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia was established for male musicians in 1898 as a secret society, and in 1900 became a collegiate fraternity. The collection contains the University of Oregon's Psi Chapter records including a fraternity scrapbook, correspondence, and records of honorary members.
Founded in 1899, the Oregon Daily Emerald (ODE) is a student-run independent daily campus newspaper at the University of Oregon. The collection (1920-2004) contains photographs, negatives, and slides, assignment ledger, ODE issues, minutes, reports, correspondence, and office files.
Phi Beta Kappa, Alpha of Oregon chapter, became the first chapter in the state of Oregon in 1923. Collection (1903-1993) includes bulletins, meeting minutes, secretary's book, constitution, and annual reports.
Phi Chi Theta is a business and economics fraternity that was founded on June 16, 1924 in Chicago, Illinois; the now inactive University of Oregon chapter was formed in 1962. The collection includes correspondence, minutes, office files and artifacts, 1976-1978
The Philologian Society was a student group at the University of Oregon. The collection contains one hand-written record book of minutes, 1893-1903.
Pi Mu Epsilon dedicates itself to the promotion of mathematics and recognition of students who successfully pursue mathematical understanding. The University of Oregon Chapter, Oregon Alpha, was established in 1931 but is now inactive. Collection includes correspondence, initiation material, and artifacts from this fraternity, 1925-1930's.
The Propeller Club of the United States supports National and International Marine industry and waterways. The collection includes meeting minutes, correspondence, and historical information, 1937-1950.
Dean Gilbert Social Science) proposed at a meeting of the University of Oregon faculty and University President on February 6, 1935, that a registration committee be appointed; the motion was passed. The collection contains committee correspondence, minutes, and memoranda, 1948.
Donald Blair Rice was a student at the University of Oregon. He was a member of the Class of 1914, and editor of the Oregana, the UO student yearbook. The collection (1913) contains letters written by Rice to his parents while he was a student at the UO.
Sigma Xi was founded in 1886 (nationally) to honor excellence in scientific investigation and encourage a sense of companionship and cooperation among researchers in all fields of science and engineering. The Society of the Sigma Xi, University of Oregon Chapter, was founded in 1923 after a two year effort. Collection contains office files, correspondence, fraternity records, chapter book, and historical information.
Collection contains correspondence to Clifton B. Davis, early University of Oregon student and contributing editor for the student newspaper at the time, The Reflector.
The Student Insurgent is a democratically organized journalistic endeavor based at the University of Oregon in Eugene which provides a voice for under-represented students by maintaining a safe space in print and online for radical dissent, free expression and mutual encouragement. The collection includes correspondence, meeting minutes, bylaws, and subject files, Students for a Progressive agenda files, and submissions to the New Liberation News Services publication, 1991-1995.
The University Teaching and Learning Center (TLC) (previously named Academic Learning Services Center) provides numerous services including programs, workshops, courses, tutors, and mentors to assist students with their educational pursuits at the University of Oregon. The collection contains correspondence and meeting minutes, 1971-1975.