LOC/L/L2. Higher Education
Found in 164 Collections and/or Records:
Thomas Condon (1822-1907) was an Irish Congregational minister, a geologist and paleontologist, and a professor at the University of Oregon. The collection (1870-1900; 1946) contains correspondence, Condon's class teaching record, UO Board of Regents meeting minutes, a catalogue of the Condon specimen collection, geology publications, and photographs of minerals, specimens, the Condon family, and fossils.
Thomas Condon (1822-1907) was an Irish Congregational minister, a geologist and paleontologist who was appointed University of Oregon's first professor of geology in 1876 and continued as professor and chair of Natural Sciences until 1907. The collection (1897-1906) contains lecture notes, writings by Condon on a new fossil Pinniped, and books on skeletons and Pinnipeds owned by Condon.
The Creative Writing Program at the University of Oregon offers a minor concentration, the Kidd Tutorial program (a yearlong course for undergraduates), and a masters degree. The collection contains the records of short story winner of W. Kidd, 1974.
Sydney Arthur Davidson, Jr. worked in Foochow, China, teaching English at the Anglo-Chinese College. The collection (1934-1939) contains notes, manuscript material, and copies of published pieces regarding his experience working in China.
Delta Nu Alpha is an international organization dedicated to transportation and logistics. The collection contains University of Oregon chapter records that document the functions, activities, and people of the organization. Records include correspondence, newsletters, meeting minutes, membership files, national materials, subject files on transportation topics, and photographs, 1947-1958.
The University of Oregon offered a major and minor in American Studies from 1984 until 1991. The collection contains records that document the functions, activities, and people of the department.
The departments of Geography and Geology were closely intertwined until the 1970's at the university of Oregon even though the Department of Geography was officially created during the 1932/33 school year. The collection contains departmental administrative files.
Geology has been offered at the University of Oregon since its establishment in 1876, and Thomas Condon was the first and only professor of Geology until 1904. Collection contains correspondence, scrapbooks, photographs, slides, and films.
Household Arts, later renamed Home Economics, was a department at the University of Oregon from 1917-1974. The collection contains records that document the functions, activities, and people of the department.
The Department of Military Science was established at the University of Oregon in 1919, although the school had sponsored military training through the Reserve Officers' Training Corps (ROTC) program before the creation of a Military Science department. The collection includes department files and ROTC/Air Force ROTC information, audiotapes, scrapbooks, photographs, clippings, newsletters, student orientation and training, and protest information, 1916-1972.
The Department of Physics at the University of Oregon grew out of the Natural Philosophy curriculum that was offered at the university beginning the year it was founded, 1876. The collection contains grant reports and U.S. Atomic Energy Commission records.
The Department of Political Science at the University of Oregon offers majors, minors, and graduate degrees. The collection (1933-2008) consists of committee, advisory council, and task force files, department minutes and correspondence, curriculum changes files, University of Oregon's School of Desegregation Training and Research Institute files, and mock Republican Convention files.
The study of rhetoric and performance has been a part of the curriculum of the University of Oregon since it opened its doors in 1877; the Department of Speech also used to offer classes in radio, film, theatre study, and also dramatic performance. The bulk of the collection (1948-1999) consists of records when the Department of Speech was heavily involved with theatre performance.
Earl Kilpatrick (1899 - 1927) was a graduate of of the University of Oregon and would become the director of the Extension Division at the University of Oregon in 1915, a position he held until 1926 when he left to become the disaster director of the Red cross at St. Louis, Missouri. The collection contains diaries which include minutes of faculty and other university related meetings, scrapbooks, photographs, and mementos.
The Educational Activities Board at the University of Oregon comprised alumni and students and administered student activities and clubs at the university, except sports. The collection (1932-1948) contains records from the multitude of groups, programs, and clubs it oversaw including the Oregon Daily Emerald, Oregana, women's clubs, concerts and performances, and UO band and orchestra, among many others.
Educational Opportunity Services was created in 1964 and provided opportunities and educational access for students that were considered educationally disadvantaged. The collection contains records that document the functions and activities of this service, and may include records from the Native American Program, Project 75, Sesamex, Upward Bound, High School Equivalency Program, and/or Project Connection.
The Faculty Advisory Council at the University of Oregon is a university standing committee responsible for providing the President and other administration officials with faculty opinion and counsel on a wide range of university affairs. The collection (1913-1988) contains a history of the council, minutes, memoranda, reports, and curriculum files.
The Failing and Beekman student oratory contest at the University of Oregon began with an endowment established in 1883 by Henry Failing and C.C. Beekman that awarded two yearly prizes. The collection contains collected hand-written and typed orations by students, some with notations.
William H. Fear and his wife Lucia (Drum) Fear moved from Burlington, Kansas to Portland, Oregon in 1889. The collection contains correspondence, Fear and Drum family papers, medical case books, and files of Nora B. Green.
The Foreign Student Friendship Foundation was founded in 1950 by University of Oregon professor Dr. David M. Dougherty. The collection contains correspondence, excursion records, minutes, reports and program files, 1958-1984.
Dr. Karen A. Foss (1950-) is a rhetorical scholar and Regents professor emeritus of communication and journalism at the University of New Mexico. This collection contains correspondence, academic work, and personal papers.
Dr. Sonja K. Foss (1950-) is a rhetorical scholar and professor emerita of communication at the University of Colorado Denver. The papers include biographical materials, publications, academic work, feminist activism material, and correspondence.
Dr. Sally Miller Gearhart was a scholar, educator, science-fiction writer, feminist, and lesbian activist. The papers include correspondence, literary works, academic work, public appearances and publicity materials, photographs, journals and artwork, personal papers, and writings of others.
The Half Century Club was made up of University of Oregon alumni that had graduated in the 19th century. Collection consists of one record book of minutes taken during 1950-1957.
Laura Kennon Hall of Baker, Oregon, graduated from the University of Oregon in Eugene in 1911. The collection consists of one album showing campus life, interior shots of her room, and Beta Epsilon/Kappa Alpha Theta sorority. Includes shot of Theodore Roosevelt during whistle-stop speech to save University of Oregon, Apr. 15, 1911. Several images of Baker are included.
Lawrence Thomas Harris (1873-1960) served in the Oregon House of Representatives (1901-1903) and as a justice in the Oregon Supreme Court (1914-1924). The collection (1915-1918; 1923-1927) contains personal and political correspondence files and testimony from the Taxpayers Equalization League, a group that supported the Zorn-McPherson bill to consolidate higher education in Oregon.
Dr. Nancy M. Henley (1934-2016) was a feminist psychologist and professor who specialized in research on language, semantics, nonverbal communication, and issues of gender and power. The papers include correspondence, research and writing material, and writing of others.
The High School Debating League was started by the Oregon Teacher Association and the University of Oregon contributed by publishing the Debating News newsletter, scheduling, and hosting the championship debate. The collection includes correspondence, programs, copies of the Debating News, and meeting minutes, 1910-1924.