LOC/L/L2. Higher Education
Found in 162 Collections and/or Records:
The Academic Distinctions committee at the University of Oregon was concerned with reviewing the requirements for achieving various academic distinctions. Collection contains material regarding a new grading system and the honors college, 1970-1971.
Joan Acker was an American sociologist, researcher, writer, and educator. Acker is considered one of the leading analysts regarding gender and class within the second wave of feminism. Her papers contain work files, conference material, diaries, undergraduate and graduate work, press, honors and awards, and books.
The University of Oregon Administrative Manual was the main governing document for the administration of the University. The collection contains previous versions of Administrative Manuals, working documents, and research files used to update the Administrative Manual between the years 1960 and 1970.
William L. Alderson was a professor of literature at Reed College, in Portland, Oregon. The collection (1944-1963) folk songs, folk sayings, and tales, course outlines, correspondence, and transcriptions.
Eric W. Allen (1879-1944 ) was the first Dean of the School of Journalism, University of Oregon, and held that post from 1916 to his death in 1944. The collection (1917-1934) contains personal and professional correspondence, and a few manuscripts.
Alpha Delta Sigma (ADS), a national honor society sponsored by AAF, recognizes and encourages scholastic achievement in advertising studies. The collection includes chapter handbooks and scrapbooks, convention materials, photographs, financial records, correspondence, and membership information, 1942-1957.
The social fraternity Alpha Tau Omega was founded in 1865 at the Virginia Military Institute, and the Oregon Gamma Phi chapter was founded in 1910 and was closed in 2000. The collection contains historical information, pledge song information, and issues of the chapter publication, The Bumper, 1954-1966.
Launched 1879 with five alumni, the University of Oregon Alumni Association works to keep alumni connected to the university. The collection contains Alumni Holding Company and Alumni Association records including correspondence, minutes, publications, reports, and newsletters, directories, resolutions, financial records, donor relations files, reunion information, photographs, slides, and negatives as well as correspondence and other information on students who served in WWI and WWII.
Bower Aly (1903-1977) was a professor of rhetoric in the Department of Speech at the University of Oregon from 1953 to 1973, and a scholar of the history of American public address. This collection includes speech transcripts, teaching files, research materials, correspondence, and publications.
Established in 1942, the Asian Studies Program at the University of Oregon is one of the oldest interdisciplinary programs in the United States to focus on Asia. The collection contains files on the Pacific Rim Studies center, program evaluation, outreach to public schools, funding and grant proposals, essay contests, correspondence, and committee and department meeting minutes, 1966-1982.
The Asklepiads Pre-Med Society is a student-run organization at the University of Oregon open to all students interested in the medical field. The collection (1929-1983) contains meeting minutes, ritual, photographs, and treasurer's reports.
The Baker family, consisting of Walter H. Baker, his wife Ida S. Baker (nee Rawalt) and their three sons, William A., Walter R., and Paul, as well as Ida Baker's sister, Mary Hoffman (nee Rawalt), her husband William and their son Harlan, all moved to the Salem, Oregon area in the 1890s. The collection contains records of the Baker, Rawalt, and Hoffman family that include diaries, correspondence, photographs, negatives, and business records of Walter Baker.
Wallace Baldinger was a professor of Art at University of Oregon, and later became Director of the Museum of Art (now the Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art). The collection contains a manuscript written in 1983, by Baldinger, titled, "The University Museum of Art During My University Tenure, 1944-1970."
Beta Phi Mu, the library and information studies honor society, was founded at the University of Illinois in August, 1948. The collection contains the University of Oregon chapter records consisting of bylaws, ritual information, correspondence, committee information and minutes, member and initiate information, treasurer's books and receipts, and a brass wick lamp, 1973.
The Black Student Union at the University of Oregon was formed in 1966. The collection consists of photographs and scrapbooks from 1978 to 1981.
Laura J. Bock was a student at the University of Oregon during the 1960s who took part in civil rights activism and anti-vietnam protests at the university. The collection (1962-1969) contains political ephemera such as flyers and posters, memos, buttons, and underground newsletters and publications, as well as Bock's personal notes, correspondence, and an oral history (with transcript).
Lyndon O. Brown (1902-1966) was a professor of marketing and advertising at Northwestern, and became a director, and later vice-president, of media and research for two different companies. The collection contains market and distribution research analyses, agency files, speeches, manuscript material, and biographical material, 1930-1957.
William Cadbury has served at the University of Oregon since 1961 and continues to act as a professor of Emeritus in the English department today (2015). His study focuses on film theory and criticism. The Collection of William Cadbury’s Faculty Papers consists of a loose-leaf copy of his book titled Getting the Point: Film as Literature.
Luella Clay Carson (1856-1938) was a professor at the University of Oregon and, later, university president at Mills College in Oakland, California. The collection consists of correspondence and documents related to both universities.
The Center for the Advanced Study of Educational Administration, a division of the Institute for Community Studies, was established in 1964 with funds granted by the Research and Development Program of the United States Office of Education. Collection includes correspondence, committee and general reports, and general office records, 1966-1970.
The mission of the UO Center on Diversity and Community (CoDaC) is to advance inclusive excellence through critical thinking and an ethic of care. The collection contains reports and VHS tapes on CoDaC projects concerning diversity and affirmative action.
University of Oregon Charter Day cerebrations commemorate the University's founding on October 18, 1876. The collection contains printed event programs for Charter Day celebrations for the years 1951; 1954; 1956; 1957; and 1959.
Harvey Clark (1807-1858) was a missionary, settler, and educator who, along with his wife, Emeline and Tabitha Moffat Brown, founded the Tualatin Academy in Forest Grove, Oregon Territory. The collection consists of an "indenture" from the Clarks to the "President of the Tualatin Academy and Pacific University" ceding control of the Clarks' Forest Grove land claim.
Robert Donald Clark (1910- ) was a professor of speech, author, public speaker, and university president. The Robert D. Clark Papers are comprised of correspondence, schoolwork, speeches, writings, research notes, publications, administrative reports and memoranda, and reference files.
Lauretta M. Cloran was the wife of Timothy Cloran, professor of Romance Languages, University of Oregon. The collection contains thirty-nine diaries (1911-1954) and they include information such as social engagements, menus, entertainments, weather, and occasional local news.
The Community Action program originated in the Department of Human Services and participants undertook action in local communities. The collection contains two copies of a VHS video of the project.
The Department of Comparative Literature offers undergraduate and graduate degrees. It is also the home of the journal Comparative Literature. The collection contains records that document the functions and activities of this program and the literary journal Comparative Literature.
The Condon Lecture Series was created in 1944 by the Oregon State Board of Higher Education and was named after the University of Oregon's first geologist, Thomas Condon. The collection contains published and unpublished versions of lectures.
Thomas Condon (1822-1907) was an Irish Congregational minister, a geologist and paleontologist who was appointed University of Oregon's first professor of geology in 1876 and continued as professor and chair of Natural Sciences until 1907. The collection (1897-1906) contains lecture notes, writings by Condon on a new fossil Pinniped, and books on skeletons and Pinnipeds owned by Condon.