LOC/H/H7. Land Use
Found in 59 Collections and/or Records:
Elizabeth Southworth Anderson was a member of an Oregon pioneer family that settled in the city of Burns, in Harney County, Oregon, during the 1850s. The collection contains a report dated July 17, 1915 written by Anderson (to Oregon journalist Fred Lockley?) that seeks to contradict another previous account regarding her family's donation claim, and a "negro," who Anderson says "lide" (sic) about something.
Van Winkle Anderson was a Realtor in Portland, Oregon, and a writer. The collection consists of correspondence and manuscripts.
Lake Bechtell (1886 -1977) was a lawyer who became City Attorney of Prineville, then was elected to the City Council in 1921, to the office of Mayor in 1925, and served as District Attorney for Crook County, 1928 to 1953. The collection contains legal files regarding livestock companies, grazing and irrigation districts, mining claims, and railroads, 1918-1963.
Joy Belsky (1944-2001) was a Portland range ecologist who worked on protecting public lands in the Western United States. The collection includes articles published in scientific journals, newsletters, newspaper articles, government publications, manuscripts, speeches/talks and correspondence.
Rufus Butler (1812-1884) was an Oregon pioneer who settled in the Umpqua River valley, where he served as a Justice of the Peace. Collection is comprised of a patent of land issued to Rufus Butler of Umpqua County, Oregon on August 8, 1866.
Finis Caruthers was a Portland, Oregon Territory, land owner. The collection consists of a photostat copy of a deed transferring ownership of a Portland lot from Caruthers to Clinton Kelly.
The collection consists of a single probate court document deeding "lots numbered one and two" to James Athey.
Harvey Clark (1807-1858) was a missionary, settler, and educator who, along with his wife, Emeline and Tabitha Moffat Brown, founded the Tualatin Academy in Forest Grove, Oregon Territory. The collection consists of an "indenture" from the Clarks to the "President of the Tualatin Academy and Pacific University" ceding control of the Clarks' Forest Grove land claim.
Stephen Coffin (1808-1882) was a pioneer and early Oregon landowner. The collection consists of a deed issued by Coffin for "lots seven and eight" of "block number 5" of the Portland town site.
Lewis C. Cooper was an early resident of Portland. The collection consists of a deed transferring ownership of Cooper's Portland, Oregon Territory property to Thomas F. Scott.
Francis DeWitt was a pioneer who came to the Oregon Territory from Germany in 1847 on a sailing vessel. The collection consists of a deed, drawn up by DeWitt, transferring ownership of two lots in the city of Portland to Philander Buchanan.
Matthew Paul Deady (1824-1893) was a lawyer, politician, and judge in the Oregon Territory, who became Oregon's first U.S. District Court judge in 1859, a position he retained until his death. The collection contains a letter dated April 11, 1884, from Deady, of Portland, Oregon to Melvin C. George, of Washington, D.C. regarding the judicial salary bill.
Hymen Fairchild (1832-1907) was an pioneer and early resident of Jackson County, Oregon Territory. The collection consists of land sale agreement between Fairchild and brothers Thomas and Robert Beale.
W. Gale was an Oregon pioneer. The collection consists of a single letter written by Gale in which he discusses his "Oregon claim".
Addison Crandall Gibbs (1825-1886) was the Civil War governor of Oregon, a Union supporter, a lawyer, and a businessman. The collection consists of a deed ceding Gibbs' claim to a piece of land on Elk Creek.
Rodney Glisan and Absalom B. Hallock were prominent figures in mid-19th century Portland, Oregon. The collection consists of a single letter from Glisan to Hallock.
John Smith Griffin (1807–1899) was an Oregon pioneer and missionary. The collection consists of promissory notes from Griffin to fellow missionary Harvey Clark for a South Tualatin land claim.
William Hawks and George S. Canfield sold timber, mine, and ranch properties in Oregon and Washington. The collection contains correspondence, 1902-1903.
Heritage Documentation Programs records: Historic American Buildings Survey and Historic American Engineering photographs (HABS) (HAER)
The Heritage Documentation Programs records: Historic American Buildings Survey and Historic American Engineering photograph collection contains materials that document achievements in architecture, engineering, and design in the United States, and includes photographs, project narratives, and architectural drawings.
Binger Hermann (1843-1926) was a Roseburg attorney and politician who represented Oregon in the U.S. House of Representatives for sixteen years, and served as commissioner of the General Land Office (GLO) under presidents William McKinley and Theodore Roosevelt. The collection (1888-1920) contains Hermann's personal and professional papers.
William Holmes (1807-1879) was a pioneer and the first sheriff of Clackamas Country. The collection consists of a notice alerting concerned parties to the sale of the Oregon City properties of William Riley by Holmes to settle a debt to John McLoughlin.
Walter Harold Horning was the chief forester for the Bureau of Land Management, adviser for legislation to control Oregon and California revested lands, proponent of Mt. Olympus National Park and Department of Conservation. The collection consists of Horning's school notes and his work papers, including correspondence, reports, field notes, and photographs.
Alva Arthur Horsfeldt (1906-1959) was a real estate broker in Oregon who was a member of many real estate associations and real estate boards. The collection (1957-1959) contains over 2,500 pieces of correspondence, memoranda, and minutes, mostly regarding the Oregon and Portland Real Estate Boards, the National Association of Real Estate Boards, and also real estate transactions.
An indenture between James Clegg of Badgerhill, York County, England, and Monimia Hodgson.
David Ingalls was an early resident of Astoria, Oregon Territory. The collection consists of a deed ceding Ingalls claim to his Astoria property to F. A. Smith.
James Tertius Jardine worked as a civil servant in agriculture; he was director of Oregon agricultural experiment stations, and chief of the Office of Experiment Stations, U.S.D.A. He played an important role in grazing research. The collection (1910-1951) contains contracts and appointment notices, reports on grazing policies, correspondence, and personal information and papers.
The collection contains the professional files of one of Oregon's leading conservationists in the mid-twentieth century, Gertrude Glutsch Jensen. The collection includes materials relating to the Columbia River Gorge Commission, the Oregon Roadside Council, the Civil War Centennial Commission, and the Portland Women's Forum. The material is in the form of reports, letters, notes, and minutes.
The Junction City Realty Company was a real estate firm associated with Lewis Investment Company. The collection contains corporate records including stockholder's meeting minutes and a stock book.
The collection contains the state, national, and local records for chapters of the League of Women Voters of Oregon. The records include individual files for many projects at the national, state, and local levels. The collection also includes publicity materials and newspaper clippings regarding the local activities of the league.