LOC/H. Social Sciences
Found in 687 Collections and/or Records:
James C. Baker was pastor of Trinity Church (Methodist Episcopal) in Urbana, Illinois, and John A. Patten was influential in the church and a manufacturer of Wine of Cardui, a nostrum composed of a mixture that was alleged to be 29 per cent alcohol. The collection contains correspondence, letters to the Editor, clippings, and a scrapbook regarding Baker's attempts to oust Patten from his position of influence and stop the sale of his medicine
Samm Sinclair Baker (1909-1997) was an advertising executive and writer of numerous self-help books. The collection consists of manuscripts of some of Baker's books and radio plays.
The collection consists of a bill of sale transferring half-ownership of the "Brig. Anna & Maime" from William Salter Baker to Orville Risley for the amount of $4,000.00.
Baldwin was a Portland, Oregon, resident and pamphleteer. Collection includes Baldwin's manuscripts, publications, correspondence, On War clippings, and other miscellaneous papers.
Dean D. Ballard was a labor relations counselor and secretary-manager of the Distributors Association of Seattle, Inc. The collection (1943-1954) contains diaries, and also clippings, minor business correspondence, photographs, and an article.
Frederick Barnhardt was a Methodist missionary in China associated with the Yenping Mission of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The collection (1929-1949) contains diaries and minor correspondence.
I. Banta worked for an English company that explored for mineral deposits in Alaska from June 10 through June 25, 1902. The I. Banta Papers contain a ledger for the 1902 journey and a transcription of a book that served as both a diary and ledger for the journey. Also included is a letter from Harold Banta, the son of I. Banta, that explains the context of his father's journey to Alaska from reminiscences of his father's stories of the trip.
Barlow and Fuller, of Oregon City, Oregon, was a grocery, provisions, and bakery store. The collection (1865) contains a store ledger organized by account name or sale.
The Base Line Lumber Company operated out of Portland, Oregon and was owned by Theodore and William Nicolai. The collection consists of a letterpress book of outgoing correspondence.
During the 1990s, a group of activists formed a political action committee called Basic Rights Oregon (BRO) to fight against legislative measures in Oregon aimed at limiting gay and lesbian civil rights. The collection contains records from several state and local community organizations and is composed primarily of general administrative, campaign, and financial records, correspondence, newsletters and pamphlets, volunteer lists, audio and video tapes and reels, and artifacts.
Julius Basinski (1844 - ) immigrated from Germany in 1866 and travelled west in 1870, first to Montana, and later into Oregon and Washington. The collection (1894-1921) contains reminiscences by Basinski and incoming correspondence.
Lake Bechtell (1886 -1977) was a lawyer who became City Attorney of Prineville, then was elected to the City Council in 1921, to the office of Mayor in 1925, and served as District Attorney for Crook County, 1928 to 1953. The collection contains legal files regarding livestock companies, grazing and irrigation districts, mining claims, and railroads, 1918-1963.
The Beekman family consists of Cornelius C. Beekman, the founder and owner of Beekman Bank in Jacksonville, Oregon; his son Benjamin Beekman, a Portland, Oregon lawyer and UO Law School faculty member; and his daughter Carrie Beekman, who donated substantially to the University of Oregon. The collection consists of correspondence, diaries, miscellaneous manuscripts and publications, scrapbooks and photographs.
Joy Belsky (1944-2001) was a Portland range ecologist who worked on protecting public lands in the Western United States. The collection includes articles published in scientific journals, newsletters, newspaper articles, government publications, manuscripts, speeches/talks and correspondence.
Beta Phi Mu, the library and information studies honor society, was founded at the University of Illinois in August, 1948. The collection contains the University of Oregon chapter records consisting of bylaws, ritual information, correspondence, committee information and minutes, member and initiate information, treasurer's books and receipts, and a brass wick lamp, 1973.
Stan Bettis (1941- ) is a freelance writer and former editor of the University of Oregon's Old Oregon alumni magazine. The collection consists of a manuscript of Bettis's book Market Days: An informal history of the Eugene Producer's Public Market.
Earl R. Biggs (1897-1968) investigated sex crimes for the Portland police department. He wrote two books, How to Protect Your Child from the Sex Criminal, and Sex, Science and Sin, and was instrumental in reforming Oregon's sex crimes laws in the 1950s. The collection contains correspondence, including one folder devoted to letters from Alfred C. Kinsey; notes on sex crimes cases investigated by Biggs; and copies of his two books.
Collection is comprised of material created and collected by Denise Bittner, University of Oregon alumna, and includes correspondence, printed material, ephemera, and newsclippings.
Kurt Bloch (1900-1976) was a German economist, journalist, editor, and author. The collection contains correspondence, manuscripts, published material and reports, lecture material, research files, and photographs; material is in English and German.
C.S. Bogan sailed vessels on the west coast of the United States and Mexico. Collection contains two letters from C. S. Bogan, Acapulco, Mexico, and San Francisco, California, to "Uncle and Aunt," April 26 and June 27, 1852 describing difficulties of voyage from Panama.
Barbara Allen Bogart, a folklorist, professor, and author conducted research for her dissertation on homesteaders in central Oregon, and published her findings in a book titled, Homesteading the High Desert (1987). The collection (1978-1985) contains transcripts of oral history interviews conducted with residents of Central Oregon about the homesteading experience.
Lemuel Evans Boren (1879-1961) served in the infantry in Cuba and in the Philippine Islands, was appointed inspector in the Philippine Constabulary in 1901, promoted to major, and resigned in 1909. The collection (1899-1920) contains diaries, a monograph, military records, certificates, photographs, correspondence, and other papers.
Homer V. Bradshaw was a missionary doctor in China who authored a report about the seizure of the Prebysterian missionaries at the American Presbyterian Mission at Linhsien, Kwangtung Province, China, between 1949-1954. The collection contains his report titled, "Behind bars, behind the Bamboo Curtain."
The collection contains a ledger of the Bricklayers Union, Eugene chapter. The ledger (1921-1953) contains minutes, statements of accounts, and lists of officers.
Elijah Lafayette Bristow (1832-1887) is the son of Elijah Bristow (1788-1872), the first white settler within the present day boundary lines of Lane county. Collection contains 1 copy of Bristow's manuscript of " Rencounters with Indians, Highwaymen and Outlaws." He comments on his father's experiences in the upper Willamette Valley; Indian tribes; impact of the California gold discovery; and his own experiences in the mines in northern California in 1853.
Collection is comprised of the manifest of the cargo of the steamship Brother Jonathan.
Lyndon O. Brown (1902-1966) was a professor of marketing and advertising at Northwestern, and became a director, and later vice-president, of media and research for two different companies. The collection contains market and distribution research analyses, agency files, speeches, manuscript material, and biographical material, 1930-1957.
The Brownsville Industrial Company was an odd-job and minor investment firm. Contains two ledgers documenting their investors, recording transactions and finances.
The Brownsville Woolen Mill was located in Brownsville, Oregon since the 1860s; the original main building was destroyed by a fire in 1955. The collection (1902-1913) contains the surviving records of the Mill including financial ledgers, journals, and day books.