LOC/H. Social Sciences
Found in 42 Collections and/or Records:
American Heritage magazine was founded in late 1949 by the American Association for State and Local History (AASLH), which published five volumes until 1954 when AASLH sold the magazine to three former Time, Inc. editors, James Parton, Oliver Jensen and Joseph J. Thorndike, Jr. The collection contains founding documents, annual reports, Board of Directors meeting minutes, financial records, memoranda and correspondence, office bulletins, and publicity materials.
During the 1990s, a group of activists formed a political action committee called Basic Rights Oregon (BRO) to fight against legislative measures in Oregon aimed at limiting gay and lesbian civil rights. The collection contains records from several state and local community organizations and is composed primarily of general administrative, campaign, and financial records, correspondence, newsletters and pamphlets, volunteer lists, audio and video tapes and reels, and artifacts.
Bullfrog Information Service was a magazine published in Eugene, Oregon, from June, 1971 till February, 1972, that focused on news and articles for and about the Northwest alternative community. The collection contains correspondence, advertising and distribution records, eight published issues and one unpublished, original illustrations and advertising art, financial records, and unpublished articles and poetry.
George Parkhurst Cheney (1871 - 1962) was publisher and editor of the Record-Chieftain, of Enterprise, Oregon. The collection (1907-1941) contains correspondence and documents regarding the status of City of Enterprise bonds, Citizen's Tax Committee correspondence, Oregon Voters magazines, and also a few mementos of Cheney's publishing career.
The Committee to Keep Firemen Police and Teachers on the Job, directed by Roy N. Vernstrom, was formed to defeat Oregon state ballot measure number 7 (the 1 1/2% tax limitation), on the ballot November 5, 1968. The collection contains campaign materials including correspondence, advertising, memoranda, statistics, financial accounting, opinion surveys, and a study of the campaign by Verstrom.
The Cornucopia Mines company of Oregon was incorporated July 30, 1927 by Robert W. Betts, Blaine Hallock, and James H. Nichols as a successor company to the Baker Mines company. The collection contains corporate records, financial ledgers, and correspondence, 1918-1941.
The study of rhetoric and performance has been a part of the curriculum of the University of Oregon since it opened its doors in 1877; the Department of Speech also used to offer classes in radio, film, theatre study, and also dramatic performance. The bulk of the collection (1948-1999) consists of records when the Department of Speech was heavily involved with theatre performance.
Eugene Fruit Growers Association was a vegetable, fruit, and nut growing, picking, packing, and canning cooperative, founded in 1908. The collection (1908-1971) contains administrative records which include correspondence and reports, financial records, architectural plans, photographs, reports, and printing plates.
The current Eugene Shakespeare Club, an organization of women devoted to the study of Shakespeare's works, was founded in 1909 and continues in existence as of the date of this writing (1993). The collection contains correspondence, constitutions, histories and recollections, and minutes that include annual reports, clippings, programs, and membership information.
Everding and Farrell Co. was a wholesale produce and commission firm, that was later associated with logging and the salmon packing industry. The collection (1888-1900) contains indentures and other legal papers, incoming correspondence, financial records and land surveys, and a listing of Washougal lands, costs, and expenses.
Charles Feller (1889-1966) became an Oregon fish merchant and wholesaler in Marshfield and Coos Bay, Oregon and established the Charles Feller Company which traded world-wide in canned, smoked, and frozen fish. The collection contains company records including ledgers, journals, and account books, fish catch books, commercial and personal correspondence, Charleston, Oregon harbor improvement files, and scrapbooks.
The G. Heitkemper Company was a wholesale and retail jeweler in Portland, Oregon, incorporated by Gerhard Heitkemper, Frank A. Heitkemper, and Edward Cookingham in 1896. The records include thirteen ledgers that contain pre-corporation records as well as post-corporation minutes, correspondence, financial records and other communications from 1874-1924.
The Guernsey-Newton Company was a Washington state insurance firm that was later absorbed by the Continental Casualty Company in 1929. The collection (1909-1921) contains minutes, articles of incorporation, by-laws, treasurer's reports, correspondence, motions, and amendments to the articles of incorporation.
Hapgood and Company were Northwest salmon packers and shippers, and were successors to Hapgood, Hume and Company. The collection (1870-1897) contains ledgers, correspondence, invoices, sales, account information, and other financial records.
Binger Hermann (1843-1926) was a Roseburg attorney and politician who represented Oregon in the U.S. House of Representatives for sixteen years, and served as commissioner of the General Land Office (GLO) under presidents William McKinley and Theodore Roosevelt. The collection (1888-1920) contains Hermann's personal and professional papers.
Hoedads Cooperative Inc. was a member-owned reforestation cooperative based out of Eugene, Oregon. The collection contains the working papers, audio and visual records of the cooperative, member and co-op correspondence, original newsletters, minutes and photographs.
Walter Huss (1918-2006) was a reverend, a businessman, a conservative who competed in Republican primaries in Oregon, and was chair of the Oregon Republican party from 1978-1979. The collection contains subject files on a variety of topics including conservative politics, Foursquare church and ministry, alternative medicine, Christian schools, and materials include financial records, correspondence, pamphlets, clippings, and other printed matter, audio, and video tapes.
The International Longshoremen's Association (ILA), AFL-CIO, organized in 1892, is a union of maritime workers in North America, and the Pacific Coast District was formed after a coast-wide dockworkers’ strike in 1934. The collection (1934-1945) contains records from the Pacific Coast District including material regarding the strike of 1934.
Lewis Investment Company of Portland, Oregon was a real estate firm incorporated in 1909 by John C. Lewis, L. A. Lewis, and Robert W. Lewis. Collection contains corporate records including Board of Director's, stockholder’s, and Executive Committee minutes, cash books, journals, ledgers, balances and reports, and correspondence.
Charles T. McDaniel was, for many years, a cashier of the Stockgrowers & Farmers National Bank of Wallowa, Oregon. The collection contains bank correspondence, personal and family correspondence, a travel diary, memorial letters, and a photograph album.
The McMinnville (Oregon) Ladies’ Sanitary Aid Society was founded in 1863 to support Union troops by providing volunteer support and raising money. The collection (1861-1865; 1961) contains a secretary's book, a treasurer's book, annual report, constitution and bylaws, meeting minutes, Juvenile Sanitary Society information, correspondence, receipts, and a story regarding the society.
Phil Metschan, Sr. (1840-1920) was born in Hesse-Cassel, Germany and travelled to the United States and settled in Canyon City, Oregon where he ran a store, became Oregon state treasurer, and established a hotel in Portland, Oregon. The collection contains correspondence, diaries, financial and legal records, pioneer family files, photographs and memorabilia.
James Neall (1820-1903) was a pioneer, merchant, and entrepreneur from Philadelphia who established claims and businesses in Oregon and California. His wife, Hannah Lloyd Neall (1817-1912) was a cultural enthusiast and suffragist who wrote for numerous early California publications. The collection consists of reminiscences, correspondence, miscellaneous papers, bound volumes and a painted tin box.
The Nicolai Bros. Company of Portland, Oregon, was a sash and door manufacturing company. The collection (1870-1878) contains corporate records, correspondence, financial records, minutes, day books, and order books.
The Olympia Light and Power Company, a waterwheel-generated hydro-electric power plant that was organized in 1890, brought the first electricity to Olympia and Tumwater, Washington. The collection contains correspondence, reports, financial records, and legal papers.
The Oregon Freelance Club was an organization of amateur and professional writers from the state of Oregon. The collection (1952-1965) contains correspondence, reports, membership lists, and financial records.
The Oregon Rural Electric Cooperative Association (ORECA) was formed in 1942. The collection contains articles of association, membership information, committee minutes and reports, financial records, correspondence and memoranda, contracts, and publications, 1952-1958; the Association destroyed its earlier records.
The Pacific Cooperative Poultry Producers (PCPP) cooperative was organized in 1920, and the Pacific Egg Producers (PEP) cooperative was established in 1922. The collection contains records of both cooperatives including financial records, reports, correspondence, and minutes.