LOC/H. Social Sciences
Found in 53 Collections and/or Records:
In 1922, the West Coast Lumberman's Association sued the Abilene and Southern Railway Co. regarding "unjust and unreasonable" lumber rates. The collection (1922-1924) contains testimonies, briefs, exhibits, lumber company statistics and research, and correspondence used in the case.
The Alden Fruit Preserving Co was located in Salem, Oregon. Their records include one volume documenting the elections of the officers, articles, and board minutes.
Allen and Lewis company was a firm of wholesale grocers that was incorporated in 1897 by John C. Lewis, L. A. Lewis, and F. A. Spencer. The collection contains corporate records including meeting minutes and stock ledgers, as well as stock books and ledgers of subsidiary companies including Glafke-Dixon Co., Douglas Food Stores, Inc., and Consolidated Stores, Inc.
Cicero Hunt Lewis (1826-1897) (also known as Cicero Horatius Lewis) and Lucius H. Allen created the Allen and Lewis mercantile company in Portland, Oregon in 1851. The collection contains five ledgers of sales, cash, consignments and account records, 1851-1868.
Jean Fuller Anderson is an American educator and publisher who taught courses on women and media at Oregon State University and focused her work on economic equity for women. The collection contains materials related to Anderson's teaching and her work related to economic equity for women, particularly the Economic Equity for Women Conference, 1987-1989.
Leonard A. Andrus was a civil engineer who surveyed and reported on Pacific Northwest firms during the 1920s. The collection (1921-1930) contains financial, asset, and policy reports on firms in the Pacific Northwest.
The Beekman family consists of Cornelius C. Beekman, the founder and owner of Beekman Bank in Jacksonville, Oregon; his son Benjamin Beekman, a Portland, Oregon lawyer and UO Law School faculty member; and his daughter Carrie Beekman, who donated substantially to the University of Oregon. The collection consists of correspondence, diaries, miscellaneous manuscripts and publications, scrapbooks and photographs.
The Brownsville Industrial Company was an odd-job and minor investment firm. Contains two ledgers documenting their investors, recording transactions and finances.
Henry Chalmers was an economist who worked in state and national offices. His collection consists of memoranda, position papers, special studies, and correspondence relating to economic affairs.
The collection contains the record book and the stock certificates book for the Columbia Mines Company.
Cooley & Company was a general store in Brownsville, Oregon. The collection consists of account books, day books, journals, cash books and ledgers.
Coos Bay and Coquille Transportation Co. was a steamboat company and the original directors were Nat H. Lane, Charles Merchant, and C. B. Golden. The collection (July 11, 1873 - February 11, 1876) contains meeting minutes and treasurer's reports.
William James Crawford was an attorney in Oregon. The collection contains selected case files. The major case is before the Indian Claims Commission, number 17, Snake River or Piute Indians v. United States, a suit to recover value of reservation land.
The C. Girard Davidson Papers document the career of attorney, politician, and businessman Crow Girard "Jebby" Davidson (1910-1996). The collection is organized into major series concerning government projects, legal cases, political activities, and business interests. The majority of material related to Davidson's service as Assistant Secretary of the Interior (1946-1950) is housed in the Truman Presidential Library in Independence, Missouri.
William F. Dielschneider and his brother Franz owned and ran the Dielschneider Jewelry store of McMinnville, Oregon, which also sold and repaired watches and clocks. The collection contains a cash book, watch sales and repair ledgers, a clock repair ledger, diamond record books, manufacturers' and jobbers' catalogues, and photographs.
Collection includes a journal, 1877-1878, a ledger, 1879-1889, and a cash book, 1890-1896. The firm was a general merchandise store.
Record include a ledger, 1859-1864, and a two volume day book, 1863-1865. The F. B. Dunn store was first a general store, then a dry goods establishment.
The G. Heitkemper Company was a wholesale and retail jeweler in Portland, Oregon, incorporated by Gerhard Heitkemper, Frank A. Heitkemper, and Edward Cookingham in 1896. The records include thirteen ledgers that contain pre-corporation records as well as post-corporation minutes, correspondence, financial records and other communications from 1874-1924.
The Gardiner Mill Company Store in Gardiner, Oregon sold manufactured goods and foodstuffs on the Oregon coast. The collection consists of business records, including correspondence and account records.
Rodney Glisan and Absalom B. Hallock were prominent figures in mid-19th century Portland, Oregon. The collection consists of a single letter from Glisan to Hallock.
The Hallock and Day Company was a partnership between Portland, Oregon architect and contractor Absalom Barrett Hallock and architect Lou Day. The ledger is an account book of final entry, in which business transactions of the company were recorded.
The Harding Drug Store was an Oregon City business started in 1873 by George A. Harding. The collection consists of ledgers, cash books, and prescription books from the store.
The Hedden store was a general merchandise store that operated from 1852-1976 in Scottsburg, Oregon. The collection contains store and postal ledgers detailing accounts of purchases (both general and postal) and also provides information on customers.
W. Harry Hembree was a ship captain and master ship builder in Oregon. His family, and the Kellogg family, owned and built ships and created a freight transportation company in the Willamette Valley. The W. Harry Hembree Papers consist of the retelling of Hembree's grandfather's 1843 overland journey, a 1947 interview in which Hembree reminisces about his family and his life, and Hembree's 1912 log of the Althea voyage from Portland, Oregon to Alaska.
J. E. Haseltine & Co. of Portland, Oregon specialized in heavy hardware and was one of the first companies to stock automotive equipment. Collection contains cash, sundry, and sales account ledgers, accounts receivable and payable ledgers, stock inventory book, country and city ledgers, and catalogues from 1868-1959.